Information Communication and technology(ICT) in education is a tool which is used in education to enhance, support and deliver educational contents/information to the targeted people. Now a days ICT taken as important tool in classroom teaching. ICT helps students to get digital content whereas for teacher makes easy preparation of lessons and deliver the content in the classroom. It does not mean that ICT is only the computer literacy, but it is the tool which can be used to enhance the teaching learning activities. There are several benefits of using ICT in education.
Benefits of Using ICT in Education
- No barrier for learning, open learning sources are available
- Enhance student’s motivation
- Increase the habit of learning by doing
- Provide effective, up to date and clear conceptual knowledge
- Active and independent learning
- Immediate evaluation after the exam
- Makes teacher up to date
- Collaboration and engagement.
Before using technology in classroom, know your school’s level in IT?
Phases of Information Communication and Technology(ICT)
- Literacy Phase
- Application phase
In this phase, school starts to buy computers, starts to keep records in the computer, preparing letters, documents, making question papers and doing photocopies. There may be very few laptops in the school, Start to join internet at school, start to use word, PowerPoint, YouTube and social media.
- Stage I: Buying the modern tools of IT like computer, projectors, multimedia, smart board etc in school. Installing the necessary software for the different programs. Teachers gain the basic skills of IT and starts use in classroom teaching
- Stage II: All the classroom is fully equipped with the modern tools of IT. All the teacher is able to integrate the knowledge and skills to the subject matter and starts teaching.
- Stage III: Teachers will be e fully absorbed IT. Students will do homework, classwork, project work, etc using IT.
- Stage IV: All the students will have digital device instead of textbook. Internal evaluation, Examination, result, etc all will be via online system. Starts to use or run webinar, online and virtual class in the school.
- Stage V: The work done by men is to be done by Artificial intelligence (AI). Teachers create different simulation and gaming for the students in related subject matter.
It is seen that student’s demand is of stage V of application phase but teachers are struggling to literacy level. Several stake holders should pay attention for the effective implementation ICT in education.
Role of Teacher
- Increase learning habits
- Use digital devices
- Increase IT literacy
- Request different IT related and attend
- Get online help and attend different webinar classes
- Prepare digital teaching materials
The Role of School and Management:
- Organize different types of IT training and workshop for the teachers
- Send teachers for the training programs
- Encourage teachers to use IT in classroom
- Manage all the digital devices from hardware to software at the school
- Collect or demand budget for the ICT from governmental bodies or any other source.
- Organize sharing program among teachers of neighboring schools and collaborate with them
Role of Government
- Provide sufficient budget for ICT
- Provide digital devices as well as software for the school
- Organize IT training for the teachers
- Organize sharing programs related with IT
- Regular follow up and supervision
- Make policy for online exam, online evaluation system, and result